Climate Change Adaptation Workshop
As part of the Federal Transit Administration’s (FTA) climate adaptation initiative, FTA, in collaboration with the American Public Transporation Association (APTA) invites broad participation in a free workshop entitled “Getting on the Right Track: Real-world Approaches to Climate Change Adaptation”, on March 21-22, 2012 in Arlington, VA (by the Courthouse stop on the Washington Metro). The workshop will provide technical assistance on climate change adaptation. This effort also includes a recently issued research report, at http://fta.dot.gov/documents/FTA_0001_-_Flooded_Bus_Barns_and_Buckled_Rails.pdf, workshops, and webinars.
Extreme weather and a changing climate pose a unique challenge to public transportation professionals: how do we adapt our operations, our planning, our emergency management? What data can we use in approaching this problem? What are others in the field doing today? FTA’s workshop will target exactly these kinds of questions by bringing together public transportation professionals and experts from a variety of disciplines.
Recent events such as Hurricane Irene, Mississippi River flooding, and drought and wildfires in Texas gave transit agencies experience in the types of events projected to become more common. Come and share experiences as well as learn from experts in the field. This effort is in keeping with broader goals to address state-of-good repair needs and enhance transit safety.
• Therese McMillan, Deputy Administrator, FTA
• Jeffrey Knueppel, Chief Engineer and Assistant General Manager, Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA)
• Dr. David Major, Senior Research Scientist, Columbia University’s Center for Climate Systems Research
• David Springstead, Senior Director of Engineering and Development, Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA)
• Climate experts
• Interactive Breakouts
• GIS Tools
• Adaptation Pilot Project Representatives
For further information, contact Region 10’s Dan Drais at 206-220-4465 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.