The fiscal year 1999 "Statistical Summaries" presents selected analyzed data on the distribution and use of the following programs administered by the Federal Transit Administration (FTA):
Capital Program (49 U.S.C § 5309) provides capital funding for fixed guideway modernization, new systems, and bus and bus related projects.
Urbanized Area Formula Program (49 U.S.C § 5307) provides funding for capital, planning and operating projects for urbanized areas (50,000 or more population).
Elderly Persons and Persons with Disabilities Program (49 U.S.C. § 5310) allocates funding to the states for capital projects to meet the special needs of elderly persons and persons with disabilities.
Non-urbanized Area Formula Program (49 U.S.C. § 5311) funds capital and operating assistance in non-urbanized areas (rural). The Rural Technical Assistance Program (RTAP) also provides funding for training, technical assistance, research and support services.
Interstate Substitute Transit Program substitutes transit capital and planning projects for Interstate Highway System projects.
Special Appropriation: Washington, DC Metro Rail provides funds for the construction of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority rail system.
Job Access / Reverse Commute Program increases transit service to employment opportunities.
Over-the-Road Bus Program provides funds to help operators of over-the-road bus service comply with DOT's final rule on accessibility for over-the-road buses.
Clean Fuels Formula Program was created to encourage the use of clean fuel vehicles. The funds were merged with the Bus category of the Capital program in FY 1999 and cannot be tracked independently.
State Infrastructure Banks allow a State to provide loans or other credit assistance for projects.
Metropolitan Planning Program (49 U.S.C. § 5303) provides funding to the states for planning projects in urbanized areas.
State Planning and Research Program (49 U.S.C. § 5313(b)) provides funding to the states for state planning and research.
Consolidated Planning Grants allows states to combine FHWA and FTA funds as a single grant.
The total amount obligated for these programs in FY 1999 was $5.6 billion, which is $1.1 billion (or 24%) higher than the previous fiscal year. About 94 percent was obligated under the two largest programs: Capital Program (37%) and Urbanized Area Formula Program (57%). Of the total $5.6 billion, 94% was programmed for capital; 4% for operating; and 2% for planning. Within the total capital obligations of $5.3 billion, 43% was used for Bus, 38% for Fixed Guideway, and 19% for New Systems. In FY 1999, FTA funded the purchase of 8,552 motor vehicles, or 2,011 (31%) higher than in FY 1998. The purchase of 491 rail cars was funded with $535.1 million. Bus (including rehab, vehicle overhaul, and preventive maintenance) and rail rehabilitation (including preventive maintenance) totaled $433.6 million and $176.1 million, respectively.