ARRA Transit Programs
Transit Capital Assistance
Fixed Guideway Infrastructure Investment
Capital Investment Grants
Supplementary Discretinary Grants for a National Surface Transportation System
- ARRA appropriated $8.4 billion for three major transit programs. The ARRA funds may be used only for capital projects (as defined in 49 USC 5302(a)(1)), and no local share is required. Less than one percent of the total funding ($64 million) was made available to FTA for oversight and administration of the ARRA program. The oversight amount was subtracted from the program funding levels described below before apportionment or allocation of the funds.A. $6.9 billion was appropriated for the Transit Capital Assistance Program. Of that amount $100 million was reserved for the Transit Investments in Greenhouse Gas and Energy Reduction (TIGGER). Of the remainder, 80 percent was to be apportioned by the Section 5307 formula, 10 percent by the Section 5311 formula, and 10 percent was made available under the Section 5340 formula for growing states and high density states, which is combined with the Section 5307 and Section 5311 apportionments. Of the amount made available for Section 5311, 2.5 percent ($17 million) was reserved for the Tribal Transit program. FTA announced the ARRA formula apportionments under Section 5307, Section 5311, and the Section 5309 Fixed Guideway Modernization programs in the Federal Register on March 5, 2009. Each area must obligate 50 percent of its apportionment by September 1, 2009. Any balance of the first half of the apportionment not obligated by that date will be withdrawn and redistributed. Only areas that meet the initial obligation deadline are eligible to receive additional funds. The balance of the initial apportionment must be obligated by March 5, 2009. Any funds not obligated by that date will be withdrawn and redistributed. Only areas that met the obligation deadlines will be eligible to receive additional funds. Once obligated, funds must be disbursed by September 30, 2015. Any balances remaining after that date will revert to the U.S. Treasury.
- FTA announced a solicitation for proposals for the discretionary Tribal Transit Program in the Federal Register on March 23, 2009 [HTML]. The deadline for submitting applications was May 22, 2009. FTA announced a solicitation for proposals for the discretionary Greenhouse Gas and Energy Reduction program (TIGGER) in the Federal Register on March 24, 2009 [HTML]. The deadline for submitting applications was May 22, 2009. FTA received 224 applications for 561 projects with a total value of over $2 billion by the May 22, 2009 deadline. On October 13, 2009, FTA published a Federal Register Notice [HTML] on March 24, 2009, announcing the selection of 43 projects to receive the $100 million in funding available.
- $750 million was appropriated for the Fixed Guideway Infrastructure Investment Program. These funds were apportioned under the first 4 tiers of the Section 5309 Fixed Guideway Modernization formula.
- $750 Million was appropriated for Capital Investment Grants, for major capital projects eligible under the Section 5309 New Starts/Small Starts program, with priority given to projects already under construction that were able to obligate the funds by July 17, 2009. FTA announced its allocation of these funds in the Federal Register on May 11, 2009 [HTML].
- The Department of Transportation published a Federal Register notice on May 18, 2009 [HTML], inviting applications for a $1.5 billion multi-modal ARRA discretionary program for major capital transportation infrastructure investments. The Department will publish a Notice in the Federal Register on June 17, 2009, responding to comments on the initial Federal Register. Transit projects are eligible. Criteria for selection are detailed in the notice. Applications are due by September 15, 2009.