DOTís 10 Steps to Collection Site Security and Integrity
1. Pay careful attention to employees throughout the collection process.
2. Ensure that there is no unauthorized access into the collection areas and that undetected access (e.g., through a door not in view) is not possible.
3. Make sure that employees show proper picture ID.
4. Make sure employees empty pockets; remove outer garments (e.g., coveralls, jacket, coat, hat); leave briefcases, purses, and bags behind; and wash their hands.
5. Maintain personal control of the specimen and CCF at all times during the collection.
6. Secure any water sources or otherwise make them unavailable to employees (e.g., turn off water inlet, tape handles to prevent opening faucets, secure tank lids).
7. Ensure that the water in the toilet and tank (if applicable) has bluing (coloring) agent in it. Tape or otherwise secure shut any movable toilet tank top, or put bluing in the tank.
8. Ensure that no soap, disinfectants, cleaning agents, or other possible adulterants are present.
9. Inspect the site to ensure that no foreign or unauthorized substances are present.
10. Secure areas and items (e.g., ledges, trash receptacles, paper towel holders, under-sink areas, ceiling tiles) that appear suitable for concealing contaminants.