FTA awards funds to transit systems in Discretionary (Competitive) Grants and as Formula Grants. These funding sources each have specific requirements, funding cycles, and awards processes that should be carefully reviewed. Review the different grant programs currently available at FTA.
When funds are available for a program FTA releases a Notice of Funding Availability through the Federal Register. This Notice provides all of the information needed to start the process for one specific grant including deadlines, forms required, and basic requirements.
Tools and Sites
Competitive Grant Opportunities on Grants.gov
FTA posts all competitive grant and cooperative agreement opportunities on Grants.gov, the comprehensive government-wide website for announcing competitive grant opportunities. Grants.gov is the single, secure Federal website unifying 1000 grant programs from 26 Federal grant-making agencies. Please follow this link to search for competitive opportunities or to find out more about.
Transportation Electronic Award Management (TEAM)
Grant recipients and FTA use the TEAM system to manage the grants after award (and in some cases during the award process). TEAM allows users to monitor project budgets and milestones, make budget and scope revisions, and other project management activities. Contact your regional office if you need a user name and password.
To receive FTA funds for public transportation purposes:
- FTA issues guidance, often in the form of circulars, to provide grantees with direction on program-specific issues and statutory requirements. Review current FTA Circulars.
- Grant Management Requirements is guidance for post-award grant administration and project management activities you should be aware of when considering whether a grant is right for you.
- Grant recipients must sign the following in order to receive FTA funds:
- A Sample Agreement for the appropriate funding year.
- The appropriate Certifications and Assurances for Federal Transit Administration Grants and Cooperative Agreements.
- Uniform Relocation Assistance and Real Property Acquisition
FTA conducts two major oversight reviews:
- Triennial Reviews of grantee receiving Section 5307 Urbanized Area Formula Grants, and
- State Management Reviews of grantees receiving Section 5311 Non-Urbanized Area Formula Grants
In addition, when the grantee is either participating in a special program (e.g. Project Management Oversight reviews for grantees receiving Section 5309 New Starts funding) or is at-risk or out of compliance in a specific area (i.e. procurement systems or financial systems) other reviews may be conducted.
Read more about Triennial Reviews and be sure to sign up for the next Workshop being conducted.
Did We Get the Grant?
Grant recipients and the public are informed of Grant Awards through the publication of Annual Apportionments. This listing provides the transit system name, location, dollar amount awarded, and other pertinent information. Full information about an award is obtained through TEAM.