Research Publications 2009
- Collision Safety Improvements for Light Rail Vehicles Operating in Shared Right of Way Street Environments - Study to investigate the potential for reducing injuries to automobile occupants struck by LRVs with the addition of appropriate front-end structures.
- Remote Infrared Audible Signage (RIAS) Pilot Program - Report of evaluation findings on the Remote Infrared Audible Signage (RIAS) Pilot Program in the Puget Sound Region of Washington State. RIAS is an orientation and mobility technology designed to eliminate barriers to accessibility for people who are visually impaired or are cognitively or developmentally disabled.
- The EmX Franklin Corridor BRT Project Evaluation - Project evaluation of the EmX Franklin Corridor BRT, a Bus Rapid Transit project funded by the Federal Transit Administration in the Eugene-Springfield metropolitan area in Oregon.
- Electronic Fare Collection Options for Commuter Railroads - Research discusses technical and institutional issues and “lessons learned” related to the implementation of automated fare collection systems on commuter railroads in the United States.
- East Tennessee Hydrogen Initiative (Chattanooga) - This research has led to the design and implementation of a system for generating, compressing, storing and dispensing hydrogen in sufficient quantities to support testing of hydrogen fueled transit vehicles. This report provides background information on alternative fuels and compares various methods for producing hydrogen including nuclear energy, coal gasification, electrolysis and natural gas reformation.
- A Transit Methodology Using Six Sigma For Heavy Rail Vehicle Maintenance Programs - Research developing a methodology for determining how substantial public resources should be invested so that rail transit operations can be improved relative to capital and operating efficiencies. The research used a proven methodology tool (Six Sigma) for increasing productivity.
- Construction Project Management Handbook (2009 Update) A comprehensive introduction to construction project management for transit agencies new to the process.
Washington State Ferries Wireless Connection High-Speed Data Project - Report on a project to study the feasibility of providing technologies capable of very high data transmission rates for wireless networks in a mobile marine environment
- Demonstration of Enhanced Human Service Transportation Models: Phase 1 - System Development and Design: The Purchase Area Regional Travel Management Coordination Center (TMCC) - Provides a comprehensive review of the policy, operational, and technical design and development of the Purchase Area Transportation Management Coordination Center (TMCC) for western Kentucky.
- Demonstration of Enhanced Transportation Models: Phase I – System Development and Design (Atlanta, Georgia) - Review of the system development and design work conducted to support a Transportation Management Coordination Center (TMCC) for Human Service Transportation (HST) in the Atlanta region.
- UWR/MSAA Demonstration of Coordinated Human Service Transportation Models: Phase 1 - System Development and Design M-ITS: Mart's Integrated Traveler Services (Massachusetts) - Results of a sixteen month project for system development and design of a model for a Travel Management Coordination Center (TMCC) utilizing ITS capabilities for Montachusett Regional Transit Authority in Fitchburg, Massachusetts.
- Model Orlando Regionally Efficient Travel Management Coordination Center (MORE-TMCC) Final Report - Presents a detailed review of the fifteen month process of designing a travel management coordination center in Orlando, Florida.
- United We Ride/Mobility Services for All Americans Joint Demonstration (South Carolina) - Presents a detailed review of the process of designing a travel management coordination center in the Lower Savannah Region (Aiken), South Carolina.
- Operational Test for the Implementation of Advanced Technologies in Rural Transit Service (Final Report)
- Profiles of 511 Traveler Information Services (2009) - Profiles from 2009 of the nation's 511 traveler information services program.
- Low-Speed Urban Maglev Research Program - Lessons Learned (2009) - Lessons learned from the Low-Speed Urban Magnetic Levitation (UML) Program to develop magnetic levitation technology that offers a cost effective, reliable, and environmentally sound transit option for urban mass transportation in the United States.
- Feasibility Study on the Use of Personal GPS Devices in Paratransit (PDF) - Study on the use of GPS devices in provision of paratransit service.
- Characteristics of Bus Rapid Transit for Decision-Making (2009) - Comprehensive guide to BRT components and performance, and an update of the 2004 document.