This is an overview of a series of recently implemented Job Access Planning Case Studies or Job Access Challenge Grants funded by the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT), Federal Transit Administration (FTA) Office of Planning. The case studies illustrate effective practices of job access planning. The case studies profile how various agencies have addressed issues regarding the provision of transportation services as a component of welfare reform. The case studies discuss both analytical and procedural approaches relevant to diverse communities. Background
Participants in the challenge grant program were drawn from metropolitan planning organizations (MPOs), transit agencies, and state departments of transportation who had been noted as being especially proactive in addressing employment transportation needs and who could use additional funding assistance. Several worthy candidates were identified based on criteria that included: leveraging of funding from other sources, collaboration with other job access stakeholders, geographic diversity, and the development of a strategy for "mainstreaming" the activities upon completion of the challenge grant. Recipients were asked to evaluate and document their job access planning processes for eventual dissemination to a broad national audience.
This report is an overview and synthesis of practice from challenge grant projects implemented by the following organizations:
- Alaska Department of Transportation (ADOT), Anchorage, Alaska
- Athens Transit, Athens, Georgia
- Central Massachusetts Regional Planning Commission (CMRPC), Worcester, Massachusetts
- Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission (DVRPC), Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Flint Mass Transit Administration, Flint, Michigan
- Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments (MWCOG), Washington, D.C.
- Mid-Willamette Valley Council of Governments (MVCOG), Salem, Oregon
- North Central Florida Regional Planning Commission (NCFRPC), Gainesville, Florida
- North Jersey Transportation Planning Authority (NJTPA), Newark, New Jersey
- San Luis Obispo Council of Governments (SLOCOG), San Luis Obispo, California