Project Management & Implementation
This section of our website contains guidance on a variety of technical topics for the project management and implementation of proposed Capital projects, including New Starts.
- Standard Cost Categories for Major Capital Projects. This section contains FTA's Standard Cost Category (SCC) Workbook as well as a guide on how to use the worksheets. The SCC is FTA's capital costing format for reporting, estimating, and managing of capital costs. This format is required for all project sponsors in their request to enter preliminary engineering and throughout project development, construction, and at least two years into revenue operations. For questions on the SCCs, please contact Corey Walker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Project Management Oversight. This section of our website describes the Project Management Oversight (PMO) program, which provides continuous review and evaluation of grantee and FTA processes to ensure compliance with statutory, administrative, and regulatory requirements. Several resources are provided here, such as Project and Construction Management Guidelines, Quality Assurance and Quality Control Guidelines, Construction Project Management Handbook and the most recent PMO Contractor Guide. To view the rule on Project Management Oversight, please go to 49 CFR Part 633.
- Full Funding Grant Agreement Circular - December 2002. This circular provides guidance on developing Full Funding Grant Agreements (FFGAs) and administering funds for major capital investment projects pursuant to these agreements. It outlines FFGA requirements, standard terms and conditions, supporting analyses and documentation, and FTA and grantee roles and responsibilities in the preparation of the agreement. The guidance further reviews the New Starts planning and project development process from which major transit capital investments are generated, and summarizes FTA's expectations for establishing the "readiness" of candidate projects to enter into an FFGA.
- Capital Program: Grant Application Instructions Circular - November 2008. This circular describes the Capital Program administered by FTA and provides guidance for applying for grants under the Capital Program, which includes New Starts grants. Chapter V summarizes the steps in developing a New Start project and discusses the air quality and environmental considerations particular to New Starts.
- Safety and Security Management Guidance for Major Capital Projects Circular 5800.1 - August 1, 2007. This circular provides guidance to grantees regarding safety and security management activities for major capital projects, and provides methods for documenting safety and security management activities in a Safety and Security Management Plan (SSMP). The SSMP is a component of the Project Management Plan, which is prepared by FTA grantees as a condition of Federal financial assistance for major capital projects.
- Real Estate - Public transportation affects people's lives by improving safety and the way we move about our communities and county. We realize that to improve public transportation programs, some people's lives are disrupted because their land, home, or business may have to be acquired in order to make way for a transportation project. The Federal Transit Administration administers federal funding to support a variety of locally planned, constructed, and operated public transportation systems throughout the U.S and is committed to assuring that those who are affected are treated fairly within the laws established to protect the taking of private property