Miami (North 27th Avenue Corridor)

Printer Friendly Version

Miami North 27th Avenue Corridor

Miami, Florida

(November 1996)

Description The Metro-Dade Transit Agency (MDTA) is planning a Metrorail extension in the 9.5 mile N.W. 27th Avenue corridor. One alternative is an elevated heavy rail line that would operate in full integration with Stage 1 Metrorail. The rail line would be an aerial structure constructed either in the median or along the side of N.W. 27th Avenue connecting the existing Martin Luther King Memorial station with major regional educational and sports facilities and terminating at the Dade/Broward county line.

The preliminary capital cost for the NW 27th Avenue Corridor Metrorail extension is $453 million (1994 dollars). MDTA estimates daily boardings on the rail extension at approximately 16,000 in 2015.

Status Metro-Dade Transit Agency completed the MIS for the North Corridor in October 1995. The MPO Board selected the Metrorail extension along NW 27th Avenue as the locally preferred alternative (LPA) in November 1995 and has added the project to its Cost Feasible Year 2015 Long Range Transportation Plan. Preliminary engineering and preparation of the draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) are scheduled for completion in April 1998.

Through FY 1997, Congress has appropriated $3.96 million in Section 5309 New Start funds. These funds are being used for Preliminary Engineering and for the preparation of the draft and final EIS.

Justification Mobility Improvements. The project would save over 500 person-hours of travel time per day. The rail alternative is expected to attract 9,200 to 9,600 new daily transit trips.

Cost Effectiveness. The cost effectiveness index for the rail alternative is approximately $18 per new transit rider.

Environmental Benefits. The southeast Florida area is an attainment area for carbon monoxide and was recently redesignated as a maintenance area for ozone. The rail alternative would divert an estimated 6,300 to 7,600 vehicle trips per day to transit and lead to a 46,500 to 56,100 daily VMT reduction.

Operating Efficiency. Operating and maintenance costs per transit rider

equal $1.63 for the TSM and $1.79 for the N.W. 27th Avenue rail extension.


MDTA is expected to seek 70 percent funding from the Section 5309 New Start program. The remaining 30 percent would be divided between the state and local sources. Some contributions of right-of-way are anticipated for transit stations at Miami-Dade Community College and Pro Player Stadium.

The ratings of capital financial commitment and operating revenues are based on the most current information to FTA. The capital financing plan is rated "low-medium." Of the non-Federal share, the State's portion is expected to come from a special appropriation to fund transit projects of regional significance. An alternative would be capitalized proceeds from Dade County's annual allocation from the State Transportation Block Grant program. The local portion of the fund is capitalized proceeds from a three cent Local Option Gas Tax implemented in 1994 and modified in 1996.

The stability and reliability of operating funds are rated "low." Specific funding sources have not been identified in the financing plan.


Source of Funds

Total Funding ($million)
Section 5309 New Start $317.10 ($3.96 million appropriated through FY 1997)

Local Option Gas Tax:



TOTAL $453.00

NOTE: Funding proposal reflects assumptions made by project sponsors, and are not DOT or FTA assumptions.

Other Factors An extension of Metrorail to the north along the N.W. 27th Avenue Corridor will link to major trip destinations such as Pro Player Stadium and Miami-Dade Community College, the nation's largest. Pro Player Stadium is also the center of major private development plans. MDTA will coordinate with government agencies to revise land use and zoning regulations around the station sites along the corridor to improve transit attractiveness and provide support for transit capital improvements, including joint development and livable community opportunities. Broward County agencies have been participating in the project development process to facilitate inter-county commuting.

Assessment of Land Use Policies and Conditions: This project was among those in the FTA Office of Planning's pilot assessment of land use and conditions (as a pilot for evaluation and rating of transit-supportive land use policies as a new start criteria, beginning in FY 1999). This pilot application is described earlier in this report. The materials submitted were insufficient to provide an assessment at this time.


A A A    Bookmark and Share